A few quick thoughts on Michigan hiring Rich Rodriguez as our new football coach.
1. He'll bring the exciting spread offense to the Big Ten which we all know the tOSU can't stop right now, the same way we can't.
2. He supposedly slept with cheerleaders while at WVU, we don't have to worry about him doing that here cause none of our cheerleaders are hot enough.
3. Some of his dealings with WVU administration over the past few days has been very dickish, don't know whether that is really him or just the way WVU is trying to spin things.
4. It now looks like there is a good chance Terrelle Pryor might commit to play here. He is the number one quarterback recruit in the nation, very mobile and athletic. He is also the number 28 overall recruit in basketball. I'd much rather have him on the field running Coach Rod's offense than Ryan Mallet.
5. Ryan Mallet might transfer, if we do get Pryor, to some Texas school, which is where he grew up. So the hottest phrase of the year, to Mallet something, might be moving south.
6. Pryor has expressed interest in going to tOSU in the past and has some relationships with other players thinking of going there. According to rivals.com he might try to bring them up the road to Ann Arbor with him, if he does come, which would bring our recruiting class for this year into the top 10, currently 14th, and knock tOSU down a bit.
7. We already have Sam McGuffie as commitment to play running back for us. He is the number back coming to college next year and would fit Rodriguez's style fine. If we have Pryor and McGuffie in our backfield it won't be long until they resemble Pat White and Steve Slaton.
8. One bad thing will be our linemen. We typically recruit a line that is large and powerful, not the light footed linemen needed to run this system. That would be our weakest point in the offense for sure. That and we would lose our history of explosive receivers a bit.
I'm very happy about this hire. Granted, if we don't get Pryor to commit it will take a few seasons to really see Coach Rod's offense take shape. Mallet did run a spread in high school taking snaps only in shotgun but he isn't mobile. Hopefully the offense can be molded around his skills in that case. We'll only have to wait until signing day on Feb. 9 to see what shape our offense will take next season.